Back vs. Forward and other specfics

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
ccostanza
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Back vs. Forward and other specfics

Post by ccostanza »

1. I have back trajectories running, but I can't get the froward trajectories to work. I thought it was as simple as changing the run time in the CONTROL file from - to + and keeping all of the same model runs.

2. Can you make time series of multiple forecast runs and input those into hysplit. I would assume as long as it's one meteorology forecast file then this would be no problem for hysplit.

3. Also what is the name of the WRF cf compliant NetCDF conversion to arl file? I would assume there should be one in the exec diretory, but I can't seem to find one.

4. I would like to use ASL instead of AGL. It sound like I can change KMSL=1 in the SETUP.CFG file should do the trick. Where does this file usually live? If I don't have one, where should I make one?
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Back vs. Forward and other specfics

Post by glenn.rolph »

1. You will also need to change the starting time of your backward trajectory if you do not have a meteorology file that covers the period before the date you used to start your forward trajectory or add a meteorological data file to the CONTROL file that covers the period of your backward trajectory.

2. You can concatenate HYSPLIT formatted meteorological files into one or list them (up to 10) in the CONTROL file and HYSPLIT will figure out which one to use first.

3. The WRF conversion programs (arw2arl) are located in the data2arl directory and are not compiled due to the need for a NetCDF library, which would need to be installed prior to compiling this program.

4. You are correct, set KMSL=1 in the SETUP.CFG file and place it in the hysplit4/working directory or whereever you are running the model from (same location as the CONTROL file). See the help file at hysplit4/html/S411.htm

Glenn
ccostanza
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by ccostanza »

Thanks Glenn!

Can you clarify what you mean for NetCDF library? What exactly needs to get installed?
ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by ariel.stein »

If you are using the windows version please find attached the arw2arl program that converts WRF output netcdf formatted files to the ARL format.
On the other hand if you are using the linux version you will first need to install the netcdf libraries and compile the arw2arl program located in the data2arl directory.
Attachments
arw2arl.txt
please replace .txt by .exe
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 202 times

Return to “Trajectory Model”