Output file format

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
mcringha
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Output file format

Post by mcringha »

(Related to Specific trajectories from Ensemble question, viewtopic.php?f=27&t=310)

I've written up a script to simplify my ensemble trajectories, but in writing it out to something that Hysplit can display, I've hit a wall. I understand the ASCII scheme for endpoints data output (trajectory number, date, location, etc), but what is the specific file extension type for the output data? I'm not sure what the extension should be, and if I write out my trajectories to a text file, I can't display them in Hysplit. I can't quite seem to get them in a format that works...

Does anyone out there have some experience changing raw trajectory data?
ariel.stein

Re: Output file format

Post by ariel.stein »

The trajectory output file is simply an ASCII text file. It is generally named tdump and has no extension.
Following is a description of the format of the output file:
The trajectory model generates its own text output file of ASCII end-point positions. The trajectory display program processes the end-point file. The format of the file is given below:

Record #1 I6 - Number of meteorological grids used in calculation

Records Loop #2 through the number of grids A8 - Meteorological Model identification
5I6 - Data file starting Year, Month, Day, Hour, Forecast Hour

Record #3 I6 - number of different trajectories in file
1X,A8 - direction of trajectory calculation (FORWARD, BACKWARD)
1X,A8 - vertical motion calculation method (OMEGA, THETA, ...)

Record Loop #4 through the number of different trajectories in file 4I6 - starting year, month, day, hour
2F9.3 - starting latitude, longitude
F8.1 - starting level above ground (meters)

Record #5 I6 - number (n) of diagnostic output variables
n(1X,A8) - label identification of each variable (PRESSURE, THETA, ...)

Record Loop #6 through the number of hours in the simulation I6 - trajectory number
I6 - meteorological grid number or antecedent trajectory number
5I6 - year month day hour minute of the point
I6 - forecast hour at point
F8.1 - age of the trajectory in hours
2F9.3 - position latitude and longitude
1X,F8.1 - position height in meters above ground
n(1X,F8.1) - n diagnostic output variables (1st to be output is always pressure)
ali

Post by ali »

Hello
I'm using a script to write a series of control files of the type CONTROL file into the C:\hysplit4\working\ directory. and every think is work , but For some reason the result does not include the data for Temp, humidity , potential temp,... . and when i was run the same data in online version he give it to me all data that i need it . i can not use it in online version because i have 3000 trj and it impossible to do it manual . is there any way to add this data to the trj out file
thanks
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

From the online run, please download a file called SETUP.CFG. This file sets up the meteorological variable that you are going to output in your output. Copy that file to your working directory and your results should include the same meteorological variables as in the web.

Return to “Trajectory Model”