I am trying to do trajectory analysis for an event in which we have observed meteorological data. Is it possible to down

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

I am trying to do trajectory analysis for an event in which we have observed meteorological data. Is it possible to down

Post by sonny.zinn »

[Note that the question and the answer below are recreated from a HYSPLIT FAQ site that predates this forum site. The original posting date is unknown.]

Question:
I am trying to do trajectory analysis for an event in which we have observed meteorological data. Is it possible to download HYSPLIT to the PC and feed it observed data from meteorological stations?

Answer:
There is no existing program to take observational data for input to HYSPLIT. HYSPLIT requires gridded 4 dimensional fields (x,y,z,t) of the meteorological variables. Data interpolation can be a tricky process and we felt that most simple interpolation techniques due not properly address the problem. Others in your situation use a meteorological model, such as RAMS or MM5, to assimilate observational data into a gridded framework that is consistent with atmospheric dynamics.

Roland Draxler

Return to “Trajectory Model”