When trying forecast/archive trajectories... Ftp failed

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
alexweefs
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

When trying forecast/archive trajectories... Ftp failed

Post by alexweefs »

Hello all,

I have been trying to run some forecast and archive trajectory data from a Mac version of HYSPLIT, but I keep receiving an error "FTP failed: arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov ---> (then whatever date combination I try).

Is this an old and stale server address, is the server down, or is there a newer version of HYSPLIT for Mac I should download? I downloaded this one (and registered) last year in mid-February.

I get this message for all dates, forecast or archived, that I have so far tried. This is why I was/am concerned that this might be an issue with a stale FTP address, or perhaps that I should be running a version newer than the May 2012 MAC HYSPLIT.

I can probably give you a specific set of dates to try, which I will try, but so far it's thrown an error with any single one I try.

For the record, this version of the software had worked previously on my Mac Pro, OSX 10.7.5.

To add a bit more to this, I did try the August 2013 release with the same outcomes . . . FTP failed.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Regards
aring
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: When trying forecast/archive trajectories... Ftp failed

Post by aring »

Hi alexweefs,

Unfortunately Macs have a problem with using ftp due to security issues. There are multiple ways to deal with this problem:
1. You can install an ftp client outside of the HYSPLIT gui and use that. If you have homebrew installed, you can do something like brew install ineutils. Or you can brew install ncftp.
2. Another easier way is to connect to ftp via finder. Open a finder window, click Go at the top of the screen, scroll down to connect to server, and type ftp://ftp.arl.noaa.gov. Connect via guest, and you will be in our data files. Find the archives and forecast directories to download your desired met files.

I found this post to be useful: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... l-on-macos

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

-aring

Return to “Trajectory Model”