Cloud height information

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
radyandre
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Cloud height information

Post by radyandre »

Hi,
I'm a new Hysplit user. I would like to run some backward trajectories to retrace the origin of below-cloud (wet) deposited material. To do so, I would need to know the bottom cloud height at my starting location, to set the release altitude properly (e.g. not above the clouds). Is there a way to know this parameter, may be in the meteorology output file?

I already checked https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hysplitusersguide/S410.htm and it seems there isn't this possibility.
ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Cloud height information

Post by ariel.stein »

It will depend on the meteorological dataset you want to use. Most of our datasets contain a precipitation field (e.g. 6 hour accumulated precipitation; TPP6 for GDAS) and a relative humidity field. For our deposition calculations using the dispersion model we use 80 % relative humidity as the threshold to find the bottom of the precipitation layer and once the relative humidity drops below 60% we use that as the top. To extract the data you can use a utility called profile.exe located in c:/hysplit/exec/. Also, you can run it through the GUI by clicking Meteorology/Display Data/Text Profile
radyandre
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: Cloud height information

Post by radyandre »

Thank you, I will try for sure!

Return to “Trajectory Model”