Extracting distance traveled from trajectory run

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
broxtonbird
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Extracting distance traveled from trajectory run

Post by broxtonbird »

Hello,

I am using back trajectories to investigate the relationship between the isotopic composition of precipitation events and various trajectory parameters. One parameter I'd like to include is the distance traveled by an air parcel. I am aware of how to include meteorological variables in the tdump output files (relative humidity, precipitation, etc...) in the advanced set up section, but I'm not sure how to (or if it's possible to) extract the actual distance traveled by an air parcel along it's trajectory.

In short: Is it possible to have distance traveled by an air parcel along its trajectory included in the tdump output file?

Thanks,

Broxton
alicec

Re: Extracting distance traveled from trajectory run

Post by alicec »

The position (latitude, longitude, height) at each output time is included and you can calculate distance traveled from that information.
broxtonbird

Re: Extracting distance traveled from trajectory run

Post by broxtonbird »

Thanks for the response. I have used the lat-long data to calculate the distance traveled between points, but I was wondering if there was a function in the Hysplit model that allowed this to be calculated without my having to. It seems like that's not an option. Thanks though!

Return to “Trajectory Model”