Automated dowloading

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
pkassom
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Automated dowloading

Post by pkassom »

I am a professor at Physics Department in the field of Meteorology, Climatology and Environment. Currently, I supervise several students who are performing some studies using data from your site. Up to now, we have managed to automatize a big part of the whole analysis procedure, but we cannot find a way to automatize the procedure for the data retrieval. To be more precise, here are the steps that we follow, to retrieve the data from your site:

go to archive hysplit model site : http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/hypub-bin/tra ... pe=archive
choose "1" number of trajectory starting locations and "Normal" type of trajectory
choose "REANALYSIS (global,1948-present)" at Meteorology and specify the coordinates (i.e. latitude -1.76 N and 53.81 E) on decimal degrees
specify the archive file depending on the studying day belongs (year and month)
choose "Backward" trajectory direction
choose "Model vertical velocity" on vertical motion
specify the start time (year, month,day) and for hour select "12"
select "72" for total run time (hours)
click:
Terrain Height (m)
Potential Temperature (K)
Ambient Temperature (K) at Dump meteorological data along trajectory at bottom
Request trajectory
wait a few seconds and choose ".gif" to see and download trajectory plot
choose "Trajectory endpoints file" to see and copy the trajectory data.
From all the steps above, the only variables are the coordinates in the 3rd step. The rest remain the same. I was wondering if there is a way to automatize this procedure, so that someone can specify only the coordinates and the rest is done automatically. Searching a bit, I was not able to find something, I noticed that there is a python library, called "pysplit". Unfortunately, I didn't find any documentation so I am not sure how I could use this.

So the question is if it is possible to automatize the above procedure? Providing us with instructions or even some documentation would be more than great. Should you require any further information, I remain at your disposal.
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Automated dowloading

Post by glenn.rolph »

There is no automated way to do this on the web site and it was designed that way so that no one individual could run thousands of trajectories on the shared server. We suggest that anyone who wants to run many HYSPLIT simulations should download the PC or LINUX version and run the model locally. Meteorological data for HYSPLIT can be found using link at:

http://www.ready.noaa.gov/archives.php and ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/archives/

or through the HYSPLIT GUI. The batch files scripts that are included in the /examples/scripts sub-directory of HYSPLIT can be modified to do most any type of automated runs as you suggest. You can also search the HYSPLIT FORUM for similar questions such as this one:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1060

Return to “Trajectory Model”