Consecutive daily trajectories for multiple years

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
HailStateWx
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Consecutive daily trajectories for multiple years

Post by HailStateWx »

Hello,
I realize this type of analysis has been addressed before, but I only have experience with the online version of HYSPLIT and am currently trying to navigate my way through using the unregistered PC (Windows) version. What I am trying to do is calculate 120-hour back trajectories from the same starting location for every day in the calendar year (starting at the same time each day) since 1979. I chose this date range because I would like to use the NARR dataset to do the trajectory calculations. I am also interested in calculating the vertical component to the trajectory in addition to the horizontal component. Is there a resource that describes 1) how to obtain/download the NARR dataset to run on the PC version and 2) how to perform the analysis described above on the unregistered PC version? Unfortunately, reading posts related to this have not helped; I suspect I need something that is more step-by-step for a novice (a HYSPLIT for Dummies, perhaps!). Any help would be very much appreciated!
Thank you!
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Consecutive daily trajectories for multiple years

Post by barbara.stunder »

See the Tutorial - http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/documents/Tut ... index.html

- Sec. 3.4 is about converting NARR GRIB1 data for input to HYSPLIT, though that is more for illustration. The files are already converted and at ftp://arlftp.arlhq.noaa.gov/archives/narr/

- Sec 5.1 - Frequency Analysis - search "run daily" - This does one month from a single point. Also, see the sample batch file script by clicking on the icon at the top of the page with the C:\> and 'gear/settings'. See the %%D and %%H loops for the days and hours. You can add a loop for months to do one year at a time.

Return to “Trajectory Model”