Regarding input of user data

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
Malini
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Regarding input of user data

Post by Malini »

Hi,

I am a relatively very new user of HYSPLIT. I seem to have a unique need which is to modify the archive NCEP temperature data that is automatically downloaded and stored in ARL format using the PC version of HYSPLIT tool.

Eg: Lets say the temperature at a given region at a given time is stored as -45 degree Celcius in a file (like gdas1.may10.w5). I get to know this value by using "Check File" option Meteorology tab in the tool. I want to try editing it as 0 degrees and save the updated value to generate a new trajectory.

Only gdas1 has the data for the location and time required for my model. But again, this Hysplit link deals at ARL file format only. (http://ready.arl.noaa.gov/ready2-bin/li ... D&misc=243)

Should I download NCEP data, edit it outside the PC HYSPLIT software and then convert to ARL format? Or is there any tool or software for manipulating and saving ARL data?

Meteoinfo allows storing selected region's contour plot into ASCII format but it stores only the meteorological variable of interest. It does not show the corresponding lat and lon. So, I am not able to correctly modify the temperature value and reconvert to HYSPLIT suitable format.

Kindly let me know if I need to attach any output to make my question clear.

Thanks & Regards,
Malini Krishnan
ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Regarding input of user data

Post by ariel.stein »

I am not entirely sure I understand what you are trying to do. You can certainly edit the meteorological files but that would require you to create a program to do that.
In this link you can find a description of the format of the ARL meteorological files along with some utility programs to manage them:
https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/HYSPLIT_data2arl.php

Return to “Trajectory Model”