How can I get trajectory map for 30-year with NCAR reanalysis data?

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
linyuelegant
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

How can I get trajectory map for 30-year with NCAR reanalysis data?

Post by linyuelegant »

Hi,

I am new to HYSPLIT, but I am quite interested in applying this in my research.

I want to create a air parcel trajectory map for certain region with NCAR/NCEP reanalysis data (over 10 years), and filter those trajectories that did not come to precipitation - I also downloaded NCEP historical precipitation data. However, it seems that HYSPLIT do not provide ways to do this. Now, I am doing daily-run for each month, and then delete the output files without precipitation, and remain only those with precipitation. After I have done one month, I go to next month. However, doing these manually will take me a lot of time, especially considering I want to do over 10 years (over 120 months). I just want to know if there is other way to do the multiple-months running and produce multiple months/years data in one time, instead of running for each month one by one. In addition, is there any way, for example, coding the algorithm to filter the output files with precipitation data.

Thanks for your help. I think HYSPLIT should have ways to do this, because I find some publications achieve these using HYSPLIT, but I am not sure whether they achieve manually or automatically.
onlyhesam
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: How can I get trajectory map for 30-year with NCAR reanalysis data?

Post by onlyhesam »

Hi
you can use daily run in Trajectory--> Special run--> daily and do it monthly instead of daily. it will help you to run all your given period in 2 days or so.
About extracting the days with precipitation among all your "tdump" files I suggest you use a Python Script.

Return to “Trajectory Model”