Plotting meteorology along the trajectory

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
J7S
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Plotting meteorology along the trajectory

Post by J7S »

Hello, I would like to plot meteorological data along the trajectory. HYSPLIT has codes for reading tdump in Python. But I am not sure if Python supports reading the ear52arl data format? Thank you!
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Plotting meteorology along the trajectory

Post by sonny.zinn »

HYSPLIT can output a few meteorological variables along trajectories. Section 5.3 in the basic tutorial shows how to include terrain height: https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... _isob.html.

The Python package in HYSPLIT can read only trajectory dumps or concentration dumps.
J7S
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by J7S »

Thank you for your information. I want to plot cloud cover/occurrence along the trajectory and use the ERA5 as meteorological input. I tried two methods: one is to do that external to HYSPLIT by interpolating the endpoints output from HYSPLIT to the ERA5 cloud product in GRIB format, and the second is to modify the configuration file SETUP.CFG to add the variable TCLD (total cloud cover) to VARSIWANT, this requires running HYSPLIT in STILT mode. Do both methods make sense? Or is there a more common approach for getting the cloud cover data along the trajectory?
yaqiang
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by yaqiang »

Another option is to get meteorology data along the trajectory using MeteoInfoLab script following this example: http://www.meteothink.org/examples/mete ... _data.html. ARL meteorological data format (also netCDF, GRIB, etc.) is supported.

Return to “Trajectory Model”