Several "backward" trajectories with different dates

Topics about the HYSPLIT trajectory model.
Francisco
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Several "backward" trajectories with different dates

Post by Francisco »

Hi there: I am new to HySplit. I can run some of the tutorials, they appear to be very simple but very instructive.

I am trying to obtain in ONE run several "backward" trajectories to a common location (all end points are the same) from different dates. One date can be June 01, 2018 and another date can be August 03, 2019, and so on. The total number of trajectories I am trying to get is around 60.

What would be a good approach to solve my problem? Can I use one of the batch files from the HySplit tutorials as a starting point? Can you provide a general guidance or steps on how to accomplish this?

On the "Add Meteorology Files", from the Trajectory/Setup Run menu, do I need upload all the meteorology files needed as single day files or is there a "master" Meteorology File I can use instead of 60 different meteorology files? Do yearly Meteorology files exist that can be used in HySplit?

Thanks for your Help.
alicec
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Several "backward" trajectories with different dates

Post by alicec »

I am trying to obtain in ONE run several "backward" trajectories to a common location (all end points are the same) from different dates. One date can be June 01, 2018 and another date can be August 03, 2019, and so on. The total number of trajectories I am trying to get is around 60.

This isn't quite clear to me. I think you want to start backward trajectories from the same location at different times?
So one trajectory would start at June 01, 2018 from location x and run backward for some amount of time.
Then the next trajectory would start at August 03, 2019 from the same location and run backward for same amount of time.

You can use one of the batch files in the tutorial as a starting place.
If your trajectories are very spread out in time, there isn't much advantage to putting them all in one run. It will be easier to put them in separate runs. For instance you could create a loop which goes like this.

Write setup.cfg file (if needed)
For each starting time,
write CONTROL file. changing only the start date, meteorological file, and output file name
run hyts_std executable

How much time each meteorological data file covers varies for different data sets. Generally we try to keep the file size below a couple GB so
lower resolution files may cover a whole week, while higher resolution files cover only a day. You will need to download meteorological files that cover the time period over which you are running the trajectories.

Return to “Trajectory Model”