Generate cluster trajectory with command prompt or script

Topics about the trajectory clustering program for HYSPLIT.
junyanl
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Generate cluster trajectory with command prompt or script

Post by junyanl »

For my research I need to use Hysplit to generate mix layer depth(MLD) data at various locations around the globe and keep track them every hour to analyze trend of MLD change along with time. And I know exactly how to do that with Hysplit GUI: in Trajectory Setup, pick a starting time and location, set the total run time to be 0(to make sure the location doesn't drift), select an output file and add meteorology files(in my case, gdas1). And then I go to special run, daily and set the interval to be 1 and the duration to be however long(usually under 30 days, longer than that the GUI sometimes can't handle).

However, for some locations I would like years of data and it becomes problematic to manually generate. So I resolved to rely on scripting. I found a package in R called "SplitR" that can handle years of data with some simple input. But unfortunately, I don't have the option to change SETUP.CFG with "SplitR", which is actually crucial for my purpose. The gdas data generated by default Hysplit setup has a minimal mix layer depth of 250, which renders lots of data useless for my purpose. Therefore, before running, I need to set the parameter "kmix0" equal to 0 in SETUP.CFG.

I think my only option left is to use command prompt and create my own script, which hopefully does not have the limiting number effect in GUI and I can alter the SETUP.CFG. Right now i'm trying to make a batch file that can do the process I mentioned above. However, I don't have much experience using command prompt and I checked the tutorials(batch files ect) and didn't find the answer I was looking for. Could you guys please let me know how I should approach this problem? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
barbara.stunder

Re: Generate cluster trajectory with command prompt or script

Post by barbara.stunder »

In the tutorial section 6.1 Frequency Analysis, https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... _freq.html, the batch script there runs the equivalent of Run Daily for one month. The month variable is "SMO". This script can be modified to add a loop through months. The SETUP.CFG can be written by the batch file too in a similar manner as the CONTROL file is written.

Through the GUI, also same for the batch file, all the meteorology files must be included in the CONTROL file for the total duration of the run (30 days or whatever). There can be a maximum of 12 meteorology files, which is about 2.5 months of GDAS.
junyanl

Post by junyanl »

Thank you for your quick response! The tutorial 6.1 does look familiar with the task i'm tackling.
However, I encountered another unexpected error when I was using HYSPLIT GUI on my PC. I followed my normal procedure and only used two meteorology files, and this error popped up. Please let me know what I can do to fix this. Thanks!
Attachments
4ae5dabdf32d0b4a1c9642a3e11c220.png
barbara.stunder

Post by barbara.stunder »

This question is a duplicate of viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1688

Return to “Cluster Analysis”