HYSPLIT not wanting to run cluster.exe

Topics about the trajectory clustering program for HYSPLIT.
egribbin
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

HYSPLIT not wanting to run cluster.exe

Post by egribbin »

I have a set of 370 trajectories (each with a length of 120 hours) that I wish to cluster. I can get INFILE to form correctly, but when I try to run the cluster analysis I get the following error: "Not trajectories to cluster. Check trajectory duration in the files in INFILE and/or the Hours to cluster" (please see the image below). This happens when I use the gui and when to run cluster.exe via the command line. Any suggestions?

Erik Gribbin
Attachments
SimulationLog.gif
barbara.stunder

Re: HYSPLIT not wanting to run cluster.exe

Post by barbara.stunder »

Good idea to run from the command line because sometimes that gives an error message, especially if it crashes and the GUI doesn't show the error message.

Is the "Hours to cluster" less than or equal to 120? Since you have 120-h long trajectories you can't cluster for a duration longer than that. Say you accidently had 220, then the file CMESSAGE would have "WARNING: traj not long enough; traj not clustered" and give the filename for all of the files, and also write the filenames in the file TNOCLUS.

The INFILE needs to have the correct directory (folder) and filenames. Open one of the tdump files to make sure it is 120-hours long and look at the filesizes of the other tdump files to make sure they are not 0 or obviously small.

I assume you have the default 1 for both "Time interval" and "Trajectory skip'.

If it all seems fine, send me the set of trajectories, or a subset that shows the same error. barbara.stunder@noaa.gov
egribbin

Post by egribbin »

Thanks Dr. Stunder!

I checked the trajectory output files and there were only three files that had less than 120 hours (they had 119). The trajectory output files I used yesterday also included a number of meteorological parameters that included with the trajectory endpoints. On a whim, I decided to recalculate the trajectories without the extra meteorological parameters and the GUI worked without any problems -- go figure! Thanks for your suggestions!

Erik Gribbin
barbara.stunder

Post by barbara.stunder »

I'm glad you got it to work. I need to look at the code and fix the issue of why it doesn't run when there are meteorological parameters.

Return to “Cluster Analysis”