Using tower data with multiple sensors for MET input

sudheer
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Using tower data with multiple sensors for MET input

Post by sudheer »

Hi,

I have 30-m tower data with multiple sonic anemometers and temperature sensors at various heights (1-, 3-, 6-m, etc). Is there a way to use this tower data as input to the HYSPLIT model?

I am planning to run a short dispersion study close to the ground during stable and near-neutral conditions and the profiles vary within this 30-m.

Thanks
Sudheer
alicec

Re: Using tower data with multiple sensors for MET input

Post by alicec »

This section of the tutorial should be helpful.

https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... enter.html
sudheer

Post by sudheer »

Hi

Thanks for the link. I have the profile.txt file in the /working directory. But it is only showing the data that is created based on the stability information given in user-entered surface data. I want to manually enter the data for the profiles.

I came across this program "snd2arl" that says it will create an ARL formatted profile file for one time period. My question is, after creating (say) 10 profile files for 10 timesteps, how would I use this data in the concentration setup? Is it as simple as adding these profile files using the "Add meteorological data" window in the concentration setup? If so, will this data be used instead of or along with the profile information existing in the "stndata.bin"?

Thank you
Sudheer
alicec

Post by alicec »

Yes - you can just add multiple meteorological files. They should be added in chronological order.

Another option if you end up with many files is to concatenate the files.
The files are constructed so that you can concatenate them (cat command on linux based system).
Just make sure that you concatenate them in chronological order with the earliest time period at the
beginning of the file.

This post also has some information about the snd2arl
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1395&p=4017&hilit=snd2arl#p4017
sudheer

Post by sudheer »

Thank you. That worked and helped.

One final question. Is it possible to use data from multiple towers for surface and upper-air data? The dispersion simulations I am trying to run are small scale in space and time, and more importantly, they are to be run during stable conditions. I have data from multiple towers spread across the campaign field.

For example, I have surface data and profile data from 2 towers, both at the same timestamps. Is it possible to create a meteorological file for each location and use both locations data for dispersion runs?

Thanks
Sudheer
alicec

Post by alicec »

You can use multiple input files for the meteorological grids.
https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/hysplitusersguide/S310.htm
Number of simultaneous input meteorological files. The following two entries (directory and name) will be repeated this number of times. A simulation will terminate when the computation is off all of the grids in either space or time. Calculations will check the grid each time step and use the finest resolution input data available at that location at that time. When multiple meteorological grids have different resolution, there is an additional restriction that there should be some overlap between the grids in time, otherwise it is not possible to transfer a particle position from one grid to another. If multiple grids are defined and the model has trouble automatically transferring the calculation from one grid to another, the sub-grid size may need to be increased to its maximum value.

Return to “General questions on meteorological data needed for HYSPLIT”