HYSPLIT meteororlogical data files

bektas61
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

HYSPLIT meteororlogical data files

Post by bektas61 »

Hi everyone, ı am new to HYSPLIT code but ı have watched and read the tutorials for a long time and ı also tested a few examples then I got several questions about HYSPLIT meteorological data files waiting for the answers.

1-) All meteorological data files contain (u,v component wind speeds, temperature, and several other variables) but they must be formatted to use by HYSPLIT. Which parameters must meteorological data file include? Actually, what are the several other variables to create and format an input file?

2-)There are a few data files available with different extensions like .gbl, .gdas. Have these data files already been formatted to use by HYSPLIT or not? If they are formatted because ı can download them through arl data ft/reanalysis section and display them via /display data/grid domain section. But when ı wanna make regional extraction using /convert to arl/Global Lat-Long(for RP198309.gbl file), I get this message.
Processing started ...

Missing file: C:/hysplit4/working/RP1983100100 ... processing terminated

Which section under the /convert to arl section is suitable to extract global data files that have extensions of .gbl or .gdas for a specific region or domain?
Fantine

Re: HYSPLIT meteororlogical data files

Post by Fantine »

This is the HYSPLIT user guide: https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hysplitusersguide/
Click METEOROLOGY/Meteorology Help/Data Format, you will find the detail info about ARL format including required met fields for running HYSPLIT.

It is recommended to use the met datasets that have already been converted to ARL format available in ARL's ftp site. There are various options and are listed on https://www.ready.noaa.gov/archives.php. This is the same as using the GUI to download the files. The filename extension may be different for different datasets.

In the GUI, Meteorology/Convert to ARL is for converting several met dataset from their original format to ARL format, NOT for subsetting ARL files to small-size files. After you download *.gbl and *.gdas files from ARL's ftp, they can be directly used to run HYSPLIT.
bektas61
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: HYSPLIT meteororlogical data files

Post by bektas61 »

I gave my answers.
Thank you for your recommendations.

Return to “General questions on meteorological data needed for HYSPLIT”