Clarification on meteorological data

Pavan Aditya
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Clarification on meteorological data

Post by Pavan Aditya »

sir/madam
I am new to HYSPLIT. I am using PC version of HYSPLIT. In the tutorial meteorological data, the following files were given
1)captex2_narr.bin
2) captex2_wrf27.bin
3)captex2_wrf09.bin etc etc
In my PC the first file was there. The other files I fail to find them. In this regard I have two questions
a) How to get a region-specific data (Ex.India)
b) How to couple the meteorological files to HYSPLIT? Should there be any knowledge of any programming languages for attaining this purpose?
Please guide.
barbara.stunder

Re: Clarification on meteorological data

Post by barbara.stunder »

Please continue on in the Tutorial following the cases in the U.S. Then you should be able to apply this to India. There is information on archived and forecast data in a format for input to HYSPLIT at:
https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/archives.php
https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/READYmetdata.php
Pavan Aditya

Post by Pavan Aditya »

Sir/Mam
In topic 4-3 Estimating mixed layer depths, In Meteorology---->Display Data----->Text profile menu option, regarding the information about offset and increment radio buttons, I didn't understand the line "However, we already know that the file starts at 15 UTC and the tracer release started at 17 UTC. Therefore by setting the offset=3 hours and the increment=0, only one time period, 18 UTC will be extracted from the file." Can you please explain in detail especially about offset 3 hours and increment 0.
Thanks in advance
barbara.stunder

An offset of 3 hours means that 3 hours into the meteorology file, the data is read. In this case, the meteorology starts at 15z, so the first time period read by the 'profile' program is 18z.

The interval means the time interval after the first time period read to read the next time period and output the profile. Here 0, means no other time periods are read.
Pavan Aditya

Post by Pavan Aditya »

Sir/mam
there is no captex2_narr.bin on my PC. What should I do? Are there any other additional sources for downloading captex2_narr.bin file. This is with respect to finding absolute trajectory error.
barbara.stunder

Look in C:\Tutorial\captex. If not there, download the Tutorial again, and put it in C:\
Pavan Aditya

Post by Pavan Aditya »

mam
I went through all the files but I am unable to find the files. I have downloaded the tutorial from the web but to no avail. Also, there seems to be no captex folder on my PC. there is only one file named captex2.bin file with which I was able to use to follow all the steps mentioned in the tutorial. Also, I cant find the following files
1) global reanalysis file RP198309.gbl. (trajectories and terrain section)
2) global reanalysis file captex2_gblr.bin(Trajectory flow field)

Please help me out.
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

If you are downloading the correct tutorial zip file from:

https://www.ready.noaa.gov/data/web/workshop/2017/

we verified that the files are there.
Pavan Aditya

Post by Pavan Aditya »

Sir/madam
I have downloaded the tutorial file through the link which you have given. Many thanks for that. Now under multiple trajectories in space section, there is this line "One element to remember from this section is that when the setup menu was configured for three locations the resulting control file only showed those three points. However, when the model was run through the special runs tab, it invoked a pre-processor step (program=latlon), that converted the three starting locations into a control file with 77 starting locations." Can you please explain in detail? I am failing to get the further details
Thanks in advance
Pavan Aditya

Post by Pavan Aditya »

Sir/madam
While doing single particle animation, while generating a gif file of concplot, I am getting an error message as Invalid density and there is no gif plot being generated. What could be the reason for this?

Return to “General questions on meteorological data needed for HYSPLIT”