quality of the meteorological data

ypkhokhlov
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

quality of the meteorological data

Post by ypkhokhlov »

I have extracted gdas1.apr15.w1 meteorological data from the HYSPLIT archive and tried to get a trajectory in forward deraction. HYSPLIT ran some steps and then stopped. I repeated such operation some times but the result was the same. I suppose the file gdas1.apr15.w1 is defective. How to explain this situation?
barbara.stunder

Re: quality of the meteorological data

Post by barbara.stunder »

When a HYSPLIT trajectory fails there are several things you can do to determine why it failed.

(1) If you are running it on a PC or linux, run it on the web and compare the CONTROL and SETUP.CFG files to yours

(2) Run chk_file on the meteorology data. chk_file on the PC is in c:\hysplit4\exec if you run this from the Command Prompt or in the GUI / Meteorology / Display Data / Check file

(3) Look at the diagnostics file named MESSAGE. Frequently it will give a useful error message.
ypkhokhlov

Post by ypkhokhlov »

According to the Forum advice I have tried to run HYSPLIT trajectory with gdas1.apr15.w1 on the web and got the answer: the model has crashed. The content of the HYSPLIT message is: *ERROR* metinp: too many missing times – current version no missing time permitted. I have also checked gdas1.apr15.w1 by running chk_file and have seen data #329-#656 is zero.
How to get the correct file gdas1.apr15.w1?
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

See the following Forum message.....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=471

Return to “General questions on meteorological data needed for HYSPLIT”