NPP

Post questions, comments and links to research (research papers, web sites, etc) involving HYSPLIT and radiological nuclides. This section is also to facilitate collaborations between researchers involved in radiological nuclide transport and dispersion.
Vic
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

NPP

Post by Vic »

Dear colleague,
I would like to evaluate air concentrations of radionuclid
emission (release) of NPP for long distance (up to 200 - 800 km).

Please, help me to prepare the "Sampling interval" data in the
"Concentration / Setup Run / Grid Definition" menu. (Default: 0 24 0 )

If I'm not wrong, for the normal operation
I should use the
"24 0 0" for daily release, or
"720 0 0" for month release
to get the "averaging estimation over all time interval of release"

And for any accident I should use the
"0 0 24" for 24 h accident release, or
"0 0 720" for 720 h accident release
to get the "maximum estimation over interval of release"

And the last question,
is it possible to get the 95% and 99.5% quantiles of maximum estimation over interval of release??

Best Wishes VD

Concentration / Setup Run / Grid Definition
25(10)- Sampling interval: type hour minute
Default: 0 24 0
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: NPP

Post by glenn.rolph »

I think you are getting release duration and sampling interval confused.

The sampling output (averaging time) that you would use depends on what you will be comparing your HYSPLIT results with. For example, if you have a sampler in the field that is picked up every day than you would want to set the CONTROL file to:

0 24 0

to get 24-hour average samples. If your sample is picked up once per month, than you would select:

0 744 0

to get 31-day average samples.

If you are trying to match a satellite image of a plume at a particular time, you would use the snapshot option, for example a snapshot every 24 hours would be:

1 24 0

If you are trying, for example, to find the maximum 15-minute average concentration over 1 hour than you would need to define 2 grids, one with 0 0 15 (15-min average samples) and one with 2 1 0 (maximum 15-min samples over 1 hour).

In order to determine the 95% and 99.5% quantiles you will need to run an ensemble of concentration runs (see the tutorial beginning with page http://www.meteozone.com/tutorial/html/ens_meteo.html )
baklazanek
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: NPP

Post by baklazanek »

glenn.rolph wrote:I think you are getting release duration and sampling interval confused.

The sampling output (averaging time) that you would use depends on what you will be comparing your HYSPLIT results with. For example, if you have a sampler in the field that is picked up every day than you would want to set the CONTROL file to:

0 24 0

to get 24-hour average samples. If your sample is picked up once per month, than you would select:

0 744 0

to get 31-day average samples.

If you are trying to match a satellite image of a plume at a particular time, you would use the snapshot option, for example a snapshot every 24 hours would be:

1 24 0

If you are trying, for example, to find the maximum 15-minute average concentration over 1 hour than you would need to define 2 grids, one with 0 0 15 (15-min average samples) and one with 2 1 0 (maximum 15-min samples over 1 hour).

In order to determine the 95% and 99.5% quantiles you will need to run an ensemble of concentration runs (see the tutorial beginning with page http://www.meteozone.com/tutorial/html/ens_meteo.html )

Number 7.

"To relate the box plot with the original graphic of median concentrations, the median box plot concentration on the 26th between 15 and 21 is perhaps 7x10-10. Examining the graphic at 42.25 -78.80 shows the location to be in the blue (10-10) region very close to the yellow (10-9) contour."

Thanks alot for posting this ;)

Return to “Radiological”