I saw a program on TV that stated volcanic gas and/or ash is necessary for earth’s healthy atmosphere, and that volcanic

Post questions, comments and links to research (research papers, web sites, etc) involving HYSPLIT and volcanic ash. This section is also to facilitate collaborations between researchers involved in volcanic ash transport and dispersion.
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

I saw a program on TV that stated volcanic gas and/or ash is necessary for earth’s healthy atmosphere, and that volcanic

Post by sonny.zinn »

[Note that the question and the answer below are recreated from a HYSPLIT FAQ site that predates this forum site. The original posting date is unknown.]

Question:
I saw a program on TV that stated volcanic gas and/or ash is necessary for earth’s healthy atmosphere, and that volcanic eruptions cause a protective layer between us and the sun. Is this in fact true?

Answer:
Our office deals with the atmospheric transport of volcanic ash, rather than the benefits of it. As one example, please see http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/What/ ... osols.html.

Barbara Stunder

Return to “Volcanic Ash”