Dobson Units (DU) for air quality

Post questions, comments and links to research (research papers, web sites, etc) involving HYSPLIT and volcanic ash. This section is also to facilitate collaborations between researchers involved in volcanic ash transport and dispersion.
jgacostal
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Dobson Units (DU) for air quality

Post by jgacostal »

Good morning,

My name is Jansen Acosta, I am student of chemical engineering at Universidad Nacional de Colombia, in Manizales (Colombia). Currently, in my research group (Environmental and Hydraulic Engineering) we are using satellite SO2 images to correlate them with emission trajectory modeling results from Hysplit and Fall3d, for Nevado del Ruiz volcano in Colombia.

Now, we would like to get more information about Dobson units (DU), how can we convert DU to SO2 concentrations? if it is possible. Also we have the question about the height of the column that should be used to transform the DU to concentration unitsif we are interested in air quality what height of column should we use?

We will appreciate your help and attention.

Regards,
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Dobson Units (DU) for air quality

Post by barbara.stunder »

Please contact the satellite SO2 people for an explanation of Dobson Units and to ask about the SO2 cloud top height in their products. We deal with the transport and dispersion.

Return to “Volcanic Ash”