NCEP Climate Forecast System Reanalysis for HYSPLIT?

Post links to publicly available repositories of HYSPLIT formatted meteorological data. Include links to documentation describing the data coverage area, time period, and variables within the data set.
donaldjmorton
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

NCEP Climate Forecast System Reanalysis for HYSPLIT?

Post by donaldjmorton »

Hi,

A small group of us are trying to run a case from 1992 with several models, including FLEXPART and HYSPLIT, and using the same met data is desirable. Previously, I thought we were doomed to using the 2.5 degree, 12-hourly FNL as a "lowest common denominator." Today, however, I found the following dataset available (0.5 degree 6-hourly), and working very well for FLEXPART:

http://rda.ucar.edu/datasets/ds093.0/

I suspect that this will work well with HYSPLIT, too, and before I dive in, I'm wondering if anybody has experience with this, in the context of HYSPLIT,

Thanks,

Don
chron

Re: NCEP Climate Forecast System Reanalysis for HYSPLIT?

Post by chron »

I'm not sure if you're still working on getting CFSR working with HYSPLIT, but I recently modified gfs2arl to read and convert the 0.5-degree CFSR files to ARL format. Let me know if you're interested, and I can send it to you. Similarly, I'd be interested to hear about your experience using CFSR if you already have it working.
Martina
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by Martina »

Dear all,

I am new working with hysplit and interested in using the NCEP/CFSR Reanalysis. However, I don't really understand yet, how to access and import this data into hysplit.
From the CFSR website I understood that data should exist from 1979 to 2008 or even 2010, however on the NOAA ARL FTP Server I can only find some days in October 1994 -- when accessing it via the ARL website; when trying to download data directly in the hysplit - Meterology menu; there is no CFSR option at all (only the NCEP/NCAR Reanalysis).

It would great if you could share your experience with me where to download this data and how to convert/import into hysplit!

Thanks a lot,
Martina
Andualem

Post by Andualem »

chron wrote:I'm not sure if you're still working on getting CFSR working with HYSPLIT, but I recently modified gfs2arl to read and convert the 0.5-degree CFSR files to ARL format. Let me know if you're interested, and I can send it to you. Similarly, I'd be interested to hear about your experience using CFSR if you already have it working.
Hi Chron,

I came across your post while looking for similar experiences. I was planning to use both CFSR and CFS v2 Retrospective forecast as input to HYSPLIT. The two are fairly except the resolution. You mentioned you have managed to modify gfs2arl to read and convert CFSR. I really appreciate it if would be kind to share it?

Andualem

Return to “Repositories of HYSPLIT formatted data”