How to choose which meteorological data to use

Post links to publicly available repositories of HYSPLIT formatted meteorological data. Include links to documentation describing the data coverage area, time period, and variables within the data set.
Reley
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

How to choose which meteorological data to use

Post by Reley »

Hello, I want to simulate the diffusion concentration of pollutants through hysplit. I chose rp201805.gbl. But I don't know if my choice is right. In other words, I don't know which meteorological data to use when simulating. Does anyone know how to select various meteorological data according to the needs? Or can each meteorological data be used, but the final effect may be different? Thank you first! :D
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: How to choose which meteorological data to use

Post by barbara.stunder »

Please see the basic HYSPLIT tutorial at https://www.ready.noaa.gov/HYSPLIT_Tutorials.php, particularly sections and 4.6 and 13.4.
Yes to "Or can each meteorological data be used, but the final effect may be different?"

You want to use the meteorology file (gridded, at finite time steps) that best represents the real meteorology. If you don't know which one that is, then run with all of them, and the differences indicate the uncertainty in the results.

Return to “Repositories of HYSPLIT formatted data”