ERA5 conversion

Post questions and find resources to convert meteorological data into a format HYSPLIT can read.
atmosphericjo
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

ERA5 conversion

Post by atmosphericjo »

Hi,

Has anyone actually had any luck running trajectories with converted ERA 5 data?

I downloaded the hysplit_metadata repository for mac from github, and managed to download and convert 9-16 Jun 2021 global. I merged the daily ARL files into 1 weekly ARL named ERA5.Jun2021.ARL2, which is 53.23 GB!

When running through pysplit with monthslice=slice(9, 10, 1), meteo_bookends=([0],[0]), I get the error:

HYSPLIT - Initialization
HYSPLIT version: hysplit.v5.2.1
Last Changed Date: 2022-05-16
ERROR metset: meteorological data time interval varies. Check input meteo file.
Changed from 60 min to -300 min
At day/hr 15 18

I've been working on this for almost 3 months and still not managed to run a trajectory successfully. Any advice anyone has is very much appreciated!
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: ERA5 conversion

Post by sonny.zinn »

HYSPLIT expects a constant time interval in a meteorological data file. For example, if the difference between the first data time and the second is 60 minutes, the third should be 60 minutes after the second. And so on.

The error message "Changed from 60 min to -300 min" indicates the interval was 60 min but data for 5 hours earlier appeared. Please check the data times of your ERA5 file for HYSPLIT for correctness. The ..\exec\filedates program may be used to this end: for details on filedates, refer to https://www.ready.noaa.gov/hysplitusers ... #filedates.
atmosphericjo
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Re: ERA5 conversion

Post by atmosphericjo »

Thank you, filedates was very useful. Solved it by re-converting the grib files.

Return to “Conversion programs”