Using arw2arl to convert netcdf files, metset error

Post questions and find resources to convert meteorological data into a format HYSPLIT can read.
nggagini
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Using arw2arl to convert netcdf files, metset error

Post by nggagini »

Good Afternoon,

I have used both an edited arw2arl file and MeteoInfo (Java edition 0.9.5) to convert a netcdf file to arl. Both processes seem to work, as arw2arl runs and outputs ARLDATA.CFG and ARLDATA.BIN files, while with MeteoInfo an ARL file is created. I can display the ARL data in MeteoInfo for both cases. However, when I check the files in Hysplit I receive an error that has to do with the time intervals.

When checking the file that was created with arw2arl:
*ERROR* metset: meteorological data time interval varies
Changed from 360 min to 18802440 min
At day/hr 0 0
File start time: 64 3 1 6 0
File ending time: 0 0 0 0 0

When checking the file that was created with MeteoInfo:
*ERROR* metset: meteorological data time interval varies
Changed from 0 min to 1440 min
At day/hr 6 0
The above error proceeds for each of the time periods in the arl file.

I’m using a netcdf file from CMIP5 (GFDL-ESM2M) that is in hybrid coordinates and contains surface pressure, temperature, u and v winds at 6-hour intervals. The arw2arl file runs with no errors, and I’ve checked the time variables and forecast hour for each of the timesteps, they are printing out as expected when running arw2arl. I’m quite confused about the 18802440 min that metset.f is calculating for N-K and why a file ending time is not printed, as arw2arl runs for the entire month and stops at 1964-03-31 18Z. Would the lack of an ending time be causing the problem with the interval? If so, where in the arw2arl file is the ending time written? I attempted to attach the CFG file and my modified arw2arl file, but was not allowed. Please let me know if any additional information or files would be helpful.

Thank you for your time and assistance.
Natalie
nggagini

Re: Using arw2arl to convert netcdf files, metset error

Post by nggagini »

Yaqiang,

I was able to find a work around with arw2arl. The last time period was printing all zeros, by printing one less time period in arw2arl the file was able to be read by Hysplit.

The netcdf file, even when broken down into smaller periods is too large to attach.

Thank you!
plastic_th

Post by plastic_th »

I do the similar thing. I want to use netcdf to convert all format. can you tell me how to edit arw2arl.f? Do you edit mapset.f and other fortran program?
relaxgonuts
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by relaxgonuts »

I am also a new HYSPLIT user who wants to use it with NetCDF (CCSM4) model data. So if anyone finds a successful way to get it done with NETCDF-files I would be very thankful to get some help (regarding changing the arw2arl.f file and subroutines...)
Cheers, Nick (contact: merz(at)climate.unibe.ch)

Return to “Conversion programs”