Issue with GRIB data from new ECMWF data server?

Post questions and find resources to convert meteorological data into a format HYSPLIT can read.
alicec
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Issue with GRIB data from new ECMWF data server?

Post by alicec »

Are your grib files less than 2 GB?
mas
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by mas »

yes they are. How to add two files (2D forecast and analysis) into the converter?
The invariant is 6 kB, 2d forecast is 204 kb, 2d analysis is 610 and 3d is 2235 kb.
I downloaded both forecast and analysis data from the ERA website, but by doing so the time error occurs again. I need the precipitation data as I am interested in computing the wet deposition.

Thanks!
alicec

Post by alicec »

The ecm2arl program will take two surface field files, one for analysis data and one for forecast data.
I am not aware of any way in which you can download the analysis and forecast data into the same grib file from ECMWF.

You need to run the ecm2arl utility from the command line. The converter called by the gui is grib2arl and will not accept two surface grib files.

ecm2arl -i(grib file with pressure/3d fields) -s(grib file with analysis surface fields) -e(grib file with forecast surface fields) -c(constant grib data)

Can you send your profile output (at least for first time period).

HYSPLIT will generate a MESSAGE file when it runs. Please attach as it is helpful to diagnose the problem when a run fails.
mas

Post by mas »

thanks for your help, I try it from the comand line then. I always just used the GUI.

Best regards
Martina
mas

Post by mas »

Hi again, I'm so sorry to ask again but I somehow cannot manage with the command line (is there any tutorial on how to use that?).

I write
exec\ecm2arl -i3D.grib -s2DA.grib -e2DF.grib -cINV.grib and then the other parameters (if I do not want to change them the values in the <> are used I assume). How do I tell the command line where to find the 4 met files? Is there any change to get a complete syntax for this?

Thanks
Martina
mas

Post by mas »

Hi, it's me again. I resolved the issue. I managed to transform the ecmwf files using the command line. I just put everything into the working directory (ecmwf files, ecm2arl exec), define the working directory in the command line with the chdir command and then use the -i -s -e -c and the other settings as specified.

I run the profile of the met file through the GUI and it worked, I have all parameters I need. I did the wet deposition model and it also worked, no stopping or error messages.

Thanks for all the hints!
Martina
alicec

Post by alicec »

I'm glad you got it to work.
Generally it is not a good idea to keep your executable files in your working directory.
They should stay in their own directory such as the hysplit4\exec\ directory.
You can call them by specifying the path.

C:\hysplit4\exec\ecm2arl

(or other if you have them somewhere else on your computer).

Cheers,
Alice

Return to “Conversion programs”