ERA interim to arl

Post questions and find resources to convert meteorological data into a format HYSPLIT can read.
Klemens
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

ERA interim to arl

Post by Klemens »

Dear all,

I try to convert ERA interim data to the Hysplit data format. I am not sure, but there is some evidence that ERA interim data are in grib1 format.
I downloaded one day of data and applied the GUI for conversion. Unfortunately, it does not work. The log file provides the following information:

while executing
"exec $exec_dir/grib2arl.exe $arg1 $arg2 $arg3 $arg4 $arg9 $arg5 $arg6 $arg7 $arg8 >STDOUT"
(procedure "xtrct_data" line 60)
invoked from within
"xtrct_data "
invoked from within
".eraarch.bot.save invoke"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
(procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 24)
invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .eraarch.bot.save"
(command bound to event)

I am not sure how to deal with precipitation. Since I used reanalysis and not forecast data, there is no precipitation available. Does it matter for the conversion routine, as precipitation is not mandatory ?
Is there some mandatory file naming convention for the input files ?

Thanks for your help in advance !

Best regards,

Klemens
ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: ERA interim to arl

Post by ariel.stein »

In order to convert the ERA interim data to ARL format you need to download the following meteorological fields from the ECMWF web site in 3 different files:
3-D fields: Pressure fields: Geopotential, Relative humidity, Temperature, U velocity, V velocity, and Vertical velocity
2-D fields: Surface: 2 m T, 10 m U, and 10 m V
Invariant: Geopotential

Rain fields are not mandatory unless you are dealing with an application that uses wet deposition.

If for some reason it does not work try the following line of command:
../exec/grib2arl -i3d.grib -y60 -x80 -g3 -p0 -k25 -s2d.grib -cinvariant.grib

where 3d.grib corresponds to the 3-D fields, 2d.grib is the 2-D fields file, and invariant.grib is the invariant file.

On the other hand, you can run the model using the ERA interim data (without precipitation fields) at our mirror site in Spain (In Spanish):
http://www.ciecem.uhu.es/hysplit/index.php
There you have access to the ERA interim since 1989.

Return to “Conversion programs”