wish: not found, netcdf not found

Post any questions or comments regarding the LINUX version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to mention the version of LINUX you are using.
jdreessen
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

wish: not found, netcdf not found

Post by jdreessen »

I have successfully installed HYSPLIT per the execution of xrun.scr and viewing results.ps but 1) I can not get the program to find the netcdf libraries. Additionally, 2) the compile.sh script is not successful in creating the link to the hysplit gui, ./hysplit4.tcl. I followed the instructions to manually create the link found here. hysplit4.tcl was created in the working directory using the ln -s ../guicode/hysplit4.tcl hysplit4.tcl command, however, when executing ./hysplit4.tcl from /working/ the following error was given:
./hysplit4.tcl: line 43: exec: wish: not found

So I believe I have 2 separate issues. Any help would be very much appreciated.

My primary goal is the conversion of SIP quality WRF model runs to ARL format for trajectory analysis. I have changed the makefile in the hysplit/trunk/data2arl/arw2arl directory per this forum.

# exported in calling script
NETLIB = /usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/lib
NETINC = /usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/include

# library name for netCDF3=netcdf and for netCDF4=netcdff
LINKS = -L$(NETLIB) -lnetcdf -L../../library -lhysplit
# LINKS = -L$(NETLIB) -lnetcdff -L../../library -lhysplit

and have changed compile.sh in the trunk directory such that:

cd ${DIR}/data2arl/arw2arl
export NETLIB=/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/lib
export NETINC=/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/include
# export NETLIB=/usr/local/netCDF4/lib
# export NETINC=/usr/local/netCDF4/include
# export NETLIB=/usr/local/netcdf/netcdf363/lib
# export NETINC=/usr/local/netcdf/netcdf363/include

echo "Building the WRF-ARW decoder (requires export NetCDF lib/include)"
echo ***${PWD} 1>>${LOG} 2>>${LOG}
make clean 1>>${LOG} 2>>${LOG}
make 1>>${LOG} 2>>${LOG}
if [ $? -ne 0 ];then echo "ERROR";exit;fi

yet I still get the error when running the compile code that netcdf is not found. Compile.log has been attached.

Any help would be so much appreciated - I've frustrated all my knowledge on this - I'm still very junior in Linux. Thank you.
ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: wish: not found, netcdf not found

Post by ariel.stein »

Yes, you have 2 separate problems.
To solve the first one you will need to make sure you have tcl is properly installed in your machine. You have to be able to type "wish" in your command line terminal and you should see a little window popping out.

For the second problem, you will need to compile the NetCDF libraries with the same compiler as the one used to create the HYSPLIT executables and libraries.
jdreessen
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by jdreessen »

Thank you for the quick reply. I have the gui loading properly now, thank you, but I am still having trouble understanding the proper use/placement of the netcdf libraries. I only have the gfortran compiler that came with gnu-gcc on the Fedora 22 I am running. I compiled netcdf and hysplit using that. When trying to run "make" in the data2arl/arw2arl directory I get dozens of the following errors:

/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/fortran/fort-varaio.c:103: undefined reference to `nc_put_vara_int'
/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/lib/libnetcdff.a(fort-varaio.o): In function `nf_get_vara_int_':
/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/fortran/fort-varaio.c:115: undefined reference to `nc_get_vara_int'
/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/lib/libnetcdff.a(fort-varaio.o): In function `nf_put_vara_real_':
/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/fortran/fort-varaio.c:130: undefined reference to `nc_put_vara_float'
/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/lib/libnetcdff.a(fort-varaio.o): In function `nf_get_vara_real_':
/usr/local/netcdf-4.1.3/fortran/fort-varaio.c:142: undefined reference to `nc_get_vara_float'

Do these errors confirm that I somehow did not compile netcdf and hysplit with the same compiler or is there something else? I appreciate your patience while I learn how to properly use/place libraries. Thanks for your help.
ariel.stein
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by ariel.stein »

Yes, that indicates that your NetCDF and hysplit compilation have been done with different compilers or the NetCDF libraries were not properly compiled.

Return to “HYSPLIT for LINUX”