HYSPLIT unable to locate tcl/where to install tcl?

Post any questions or comments regarding the LINUX version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to mention the version of LINUX you are using.
pranshua
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

HYSPLIT unable to locate tcl/where to install tcl?

Post by pranshua »

Hello!

I am going through the HYSPLIT installation process on Ubuntu (Hysplit version 5.2.3). I can get through the installation process alright but cannot open the GUI through the command line using the ./hysplit.tcl command. I think the main issue is that my tcl is not being installed properly and/or Hysplit cannot find where tcl is installed.

When I try to install tcl (through ActiveState), I am unable to install it in the suggested directory (in my /opt directory) because I get an error saying "You are trying to install ActiveTcl inside of the directory containing the distributed files."

I was also wondering if it would be a better idea to change the path to tcl in the /guicode directory in the Hysplit folder but am unsure what line in the relevant text file I would have to change.

If anyone has any ideas for how I can move forward, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: HYSPLIT unable to locate tcl/where to install tcl?

Post by sonny.zinn »

To check if tcl is correctly installed on your Ubuntu computer, open a terminal and run "which wish." It should print where the wish program is located, as shown below:

Code: Select all

$ which wish
/usr/bin/wish
If "wish" is unavailable on your computer, you will need to have it installed by running something like "sudo apt-get install tk". The exact command may depend on your Ubuntu version so you might want to do some Internet search.

Once the availability of "wish" is verified, follow Step 4 at https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... _unix.html to create a soft link in your hysplit/working directory and run ./hysplit.tcl inside the working directory.

Return to “HYSPLIT for LINUX”