How Hysplit treats emission rate and emission duration hour?

Post any questions or comments regarding the LINUX version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to mention the version of LINUX you are using.
hlbutterfly
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

How Hysplit treats emission rate and emission duration hour?

Post by hlbutterfly »

I am confused by the way that Hysplit treats the emission rate and the emission duration.

For example, I have two emission scenario. For the first emission scenario, I have a constant emission rate at 100 kg/hr and the emission duration is set to one hour. For the second emission scenario, I still have 100 kg/hr of emissions but the emission duration is only 10 min (the rest 50 min has zero emissions). My Hysplit simulation is one hour and in my SETUP.CFG, I set delt = 1.0. My output temporal resolution is set to 1 min so I have min-by-min concentrations. All other configurations are same except the emission duration (1 hour vs. 10 min).

Scenario 1 (1 hr emission):
TRACER

Scenario 2 (10 min emission):
TRACER

What I expect from these two simulations is that for the first 10 min, the simulated min-by-min concentration should be the same between the two cases simply because for the first 10 min, both scenarios are emitting at 100 kg/hr. However, apparently this is not the case. The simulated concentrations from the two emission scenarios are totally different from each other. So I am very confused of how Hysplit treats the emission rate and the duration.

Thank you very much!
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: How Hysplit treats emission rate and emission duration hour?

Post by barbara.stunder »

Return to “HYSPLIT for LINUX”