Hysplit installation

Post any questions or comments regarding the Mac OS X version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to mention the version of OS you are using.
coutre
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Hysplit installation

Post by coutre »

Hello,

I have just completed my Hysplit registration today, and I am trying to run the model on a Mac computer following the steps of the Mac tutorial. I downloaded and successfully installed Tcl/Tk, version 8.5.8.2 (ActiveTcl8.5.8.2.292682-macosx-universal-threaded.dmg), and the Hysplit Mac version. After copying the Hysplit4 directory in /Users/macbook, I followed the tutorial's 6th step, and changed my working directory to /Users/macbook/hysplit4/working, created a hard link with the command line given in the tutorial, and finally executed ./hysplit4.tcl.
However, the startup script seems to try to change my WD to "/Users/ariel.stein/Hysplit4", which of course does not exist on my computer. The terminal returns the following error message: "Error in startup script: couldn't change working directory to "/Users/ariel.stein/Hysplit4": no such file or directory"

Thanks a lot in advance for any help which could help me understand where I went wrong!
ariel.stein

Re: Hysplit installation

Post by ariel.stein »

In your working directory, please delete the file named "default_exec". That should fix the problem.
coutre

Post by coutre »

Thank you very much, Hysplit does launch now; however, the trajectory calculation test (trajectory -> quick start -> run example) does not work, Wish shutting down unexpectedly when I launch the test:
"child killed: segmentation violation
child killed: segmentation violation
while executing
"exec $exec_dir/hyts_std"
(procedure "Traj_quick" line 12)
invoked from within
"Traj_quick E"
(menu invoke)"

I would think it has something to do with the prior Tcl/tk installation, but everything went well when I installed it from the link given in the tutorial. Thank you again for any help or any clue, eventhough I am aware that it may not directly concern Hysplit.
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

Do you get the same kind of error when opening Setup Run and saving and then Run model?
coutre

Post by coutre »

Yes. I tried to run a classical setup, with OCT1618.bin as input data, and a 36h backward trajectory starting 95/10/17 23 (YY/MM/DD HH), then 16/05/01 12. I let default options for top of model, vertical motion method and output file.
Thank you!
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

What is the OS you have in your MAC?
coutre

Post by coutre »

I have a Mac OS X 10.6.8 (build 10K549)
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

I see 2 possible problems. Your tcl/tk program is outdated or your MAC OS is outdated since the HYSPLIT version you are using has been compiled in OS 10.9.
Try the following: starting in your working directory, type ../guicode/hysplit4.tcl &

go to Concentration/Setup Run and click on the Save button. Then Concentration/Run Model and finally Concentration/Display/Concentration/Contours and click on Execute display. Let me know if it works.
coutre

Post by coutre »

I get the same error message doing this; I joined a .txt file where I copied the "problem details and system configuration" I get.
Thanks!
Attachments
errormessage_hysplit.txt
(2.42 KiB) Downloaded 1788 times
ariel.stein

Post by ariel.stein »

I see. Try updating your tcl software and see if that solves the problem. If not you will have to update your OS to a more recent version.

Return to “HYSPLIT for Mac OS X”