Issues with running HYSPLIT

Post any questions or comments regarding the Mac OS X version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to mention the version of OS you are using.
paul
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Issues with running HYSPLIT

Post by paul »

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 14.16.06.png
Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie in HYSPLIT and want to use it in my Master's project. So I have downloaded the model accurately according to the tutorial (https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... index.html). I installed everything needed (ImageMagick, Tcl/Tk etc). I've successfully run test exercises, but have a problem with GUI and further exercises. Model computes the experiment (I can see the graph in the working directory), but I cannot see the result through the GUI (execute display –> error: child killed). Also when I want to download meteorological data from the FTP I get the same error. I will be grateful for any advice and recommendation how to fix it. Image
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Issues with running HYSPLIT

Post by sonny.zinn »

At the "Application Error" window, more information about the error will be displayed if the "Details >>" button is pushed. Could you post the detailed information? Also which version of macOS are you using?
paul

Post by paul »

My current version is Ventura 13.3.1. If I try push Concentrations -> Run Example I get:

child killed: kill signal
child killed: kill signal
while executing
"exec open $svgfile"
invoked from within
"if [file exists $svgfile] {
if { "$tcl_platform(os)" == "Darwin" } {
# Apple Mac opens with OS supplied Preview program
exec open $sv..."
(procedure "svg_box" line 7)
invoked from within
"svg_box ${Psout_file}.html"
invoked from within
"if [file exists ${Psout_file}.html] {
svg_box ${Psout_file}.html
} else {
msg_box "${Psout_file}.html not found, check working d..."
(procedure "run_conc_plot" line 204)
invoked from within
"run_conc_plot "adhoc""
(procedure "Conc_quick" line 19)
invoked from within
"Conc_quick E"
(menu invoke)
sonny.zinn

Post by sonny.zinn »

Thank you for posting the error message. The error occurred when opening an html file to show the concentration plume graphics. More specifically, the open command failed to start an application for viewing HTML, most likely, the Safari web browser. Probably a security setting is preventing the open command from opening HTML? Try googling an macworld.com article titled "Can’t open HTML pages in Safari? Add Safari to Full Disk Access" and see if it helps.
paul

Post by paul »

I've added Safari to Full Disk Access, but unfortunately I get the same error.
paul

Post by paul »

I added Safari to Full Disk Access, but anyway after trying to do Concentration -> Run Example I get the same error 'child: killed' with the same Details.
sonny.zinn

Post by sonny.zinn »

The "Concentration > Run Example" menu works fine with a mac with an older version of macOS. It is a bit hard to diagnose an issue without being able to reproduce it on my end.

You wrote you could see the graph in the working directory. Did you mean that the concplot.html file was created in the working directory? Are you able to see the concentration plot by double-clicking the html file?

What happens if you do the following? Open a terminal and change directory to where the concplot.html is located. Type and run:

Code: Select all

open concplot.html
paul

Post by paul »

Yes, I meant I'm able to see the concentration plot by double-clicking the html file. When I try to do 'open concplot.html' in the Terminal I get 'zsh:killed' or 'Killed:9' (if I change the Terminal from zsh to bash). Prior I tried to fix it by reinstalling homebrew, but, perhaps, it hasn't helped.
sonny.zinn

Post by sonny.zinn »

The HYSPLIT user interface error you had must be them coming from the open command error. When you resolve the open command issue, please share it with the forum users.

Return to “HYSPLIT for Mac OS X”