Error entering user-entered meteorology data

Post any questions or comments regarding the Desktop PC version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to include the operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
arl.noaa
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Error entering user-entered meteorology data

Post by arl.noaa »

Hello,

I am encountering an error while using the PC version if I put in user-entered meteorology data. The error can be seen either by attempting to run the model or by running the CheckFile button under Meteorology->DisplayData.

What seems to trigger it is if I run it consecutive times and the end time of the data is earlier than the end time that was used in the previous run.

Even by shutting the program completely and restarting it, the error appears if that condition occurs.

For example: Use a simple meteorology file like
12 10 19 12 00 270 5 1500 4
12 10 19 23 00 270 5 1500 4

That works fine.

If I redo the file, or even restart the entire program, and use data with an earlier end time such as:
12 10 19 12 00 270 5 1500 4
12 10 19 20 00 270 5 1500 4

This will result in the error.

The fix seems to be to manually delete the stndata.bin file between runs. Am I missing a step perhaps?
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Error entering user-entered meteorology data

Post by glenn.rolph »

The meteorology files are written as direct access, so if you write a file with fewer time periods on top of a longer file, the additional records of the old file will remain. It is a feature rather than a bug permitting us to update individual records. However, as you point out, an automatic delete should be added to the GUI. Thanks for finding that.
Lee.Marty

Post by Lee.Marty »

Just curious. Was this bug ever fixed?
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by glenn.rolph »

Yes, this should work now.
Lee.Marty