How to create a particle plot?

Post any questions or comments regarding the Desktop PC version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to include the operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
arl.noaa
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

How to create a particle plot?

Post by arl.noaa »

Hi,

How to create partplot.ps? When I display particles, it says the file not found.

Thanks!
glenn.rolph
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: How to create a particle plot?

Post by glenn.rolph »

You first need to turn on the dumping of particles. You do this by going to

Advanced / Configuration Setup / Concentration

Click on number 9 (Input and output PARTICLE files), then set the interval you want to dump the particles. See the help on this menu for details.
tschonholz

Post by tschonholz »

I was wondering the same. The advanced menu doesn't create a partplot.ps, only parinit and pardump.
Can you help please?
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

After you run the model and have a PARDUMP file containing the particle locations, use the pulldown as follows:

Concentration / Display / Particle
tschonholz

Post by tschonholz »

Yes, but in there you need to place the output postscript file and the particle position time. From the advance menu we only create pardump and parinit, not partplot and it seems to be mandatory, if not you cannot run it.
Beside this, I was wondering how does the zoom in or out affect the output.
Thank you!
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

If the first option is blank (Particle Position File), then you either need to enter by hand the name of the pardump file you created when you ran the model (PARDUMP by default) or go back to the Advanced / Configuration Setup / Concentration / Configure release of PARTICLES or PUFFS (3) and then click Save, Save again, and then go back to Concentration / Display / Particle and it should now have a name in the first entry box. The partplot.ps file will be created after you click Execute Display from this GUI.
tschonholz

Post by tschonholz »

Thank you for this but I have already tried to do this and I keep on getting same result. Particle position time is set as pardump but the output keeps on requesting partplot. may it be related to the data I'm using? can't seem to find the file anywhere and I've already tried to place parinit and no result.
Any idea why?
Thanks in advanced.
glenn.rolph

Post by glenn.rolph »

You should check to make sure you actually have a PARDUMP file in the C:\hysplit4\working directory or else it will not plot.
tschonholz

Post by tschonholz »

glenn.rolph wrote:You should check to make sure you actually have a PARDUMP file in the C:\hysplit4\working directory or else it will not plot.
I found why it wasn't doing it.

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by tschonholz on May 9th, 2013, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HYSPLIT for PCs”