windows subsystem for Linux--trajectory and dispersion analysis--bash commands

Post any questions or comments regarding the Desktop PC version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to include the operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
faruk
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

windows subsystem for Linux--trajectory and dispersion analysis--bash commands

Post by faruk »

Hello,

I would like to ask whether I can do trajectory or dispersion analyses, which can be done with HYSPLIT in Windows10, by "wsl" commands or not. I have conversion program issues and checked ECMWF posts related to that issues. What I come across is that they mostly provide support to those who use Unix-dependent software like Mac or Ubuntu. For Windows users, they suggest going to Github for discussing problems. Then, I thought that Windows is not a very suitable environment for a detailed HYSPLIT project, especially for, I need to use the ERA52ARL decoder for high-resolution ERA5 data. So I'd like to consult that:

-Should I switch to Unix fully? Or should I stick to Windows? Since I haven't experienced Unix yet.
-Nowadays, I am trying to use "wsl" on Windows and like it, but wondering if it is enough to make any analysis only using bash commands without using any GUI. For instance, let's say, I am using bash and performing trajectory analyses, then, I am using Windows and third-party programs to visualize trajectory. Is that possible?

Thanks.
sonny.zinn

Re: windows subsystem for Linux--trajectory and dispersion analysis--bash commands

Post by sonny.zinn »

I have very limited experience with Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). However, with an X server program running on the Windows side, I was able to run Eclipse from Linux. Eclipse is an integrated development environment with graphical user interface.

With that said, I do not anticipate any problem using HYSPLIT with WSL. ARL provides pre-compiled HYSPLIT for Ubuntu which I believe is one of the Linux flavors that WSL supports.
faruk

Re: windows subsystem for Linux--trajectory and dispersion analysis--bash commands

Post by faruk »

Thank you for the feedback, that was encouraging to go on. I will also try to use eclipse. Maybe, it enables to make visualization part of the runs. I will share when getting any result, either way, being successful or not.

Return to “HYSPLIT for PCs”