When I set up a matrix run and have the heights specified at a certain altitude (using MSL), why do the results show

Post any questions or comments regarding the Desktop PC version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to include the operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

When I set up a matrix run and have the heights specified at a certain altitude (using MSL), why do the results show

Post by sonny.zinn »

[Note that the question and the answer below are recreated from a HYSPLIT FAQ site that predates this forum site. The original posting date is unknown.]

Question:
When I set up a matrix run and have the heights specified at a certain altitude (using MSL), why do the results show the starting points at different heights instead of at a constant one?

Answer:
Although you set the MSL flag and specified the starting height (MSL), at some locations, the MSL height will be below ground. The model will reset the starting height to the MSL value to give AGL=0.

Roland Draxler

Return to “HYSPLIT for PCs”