Really small GUI window

Post any questions or comments regarding the Desktop PC version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to include the operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
cgagnon3
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Really small GUI window

Post by cgagnon3 »

I have installed the newest, non-registered version of HYSPLIT. Currently when I open the shortcut on my desktop, the GUI that pops up is tiny (see attached photo). When I make the window bigger, all the graphics stay tiny. How do I make the window bigger?
Hysplit_error.pdf
Picture of my issue
(243.68 KiB) Downloaded 387 times

Thanks!
Cathy
sonny.zinn
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Really small GUI window

Post by sonny.zinn »

You will need to click the Menu button in green. This is Step 1 in https://www.ready.noaa.gov/documents/Tu ... t_gui.html.
cgagnon3
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by cgagnon3 »

Thank you for responding. When I click the menu button, everything still remains very tiny. I can barely read some of the text. When I expand the window, the text/buttons still remain small (see attached figure). I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Hysplit, but I run into the same issue both times. Is there anything else I can try?
Attachments
Hysplit-problem.pdf
Small GUI window
(112.8 KiB) Downloaded 306 times
sonny.zinn

Post by sonny.zinn »

There is a way to change the default font size. If HYSPLIT is installed to C:\hysplit, open Windows File Explorer and change directory to C:\hysplit\guicode. Open the hysplit.tcl file for editing by right clicking the file icon and choosing "Open with" and "Notepad." Scroll down to line 594 and replace the following line:

option add *font -*-courier-bold-r-*-*-14-140-*-*-*-*-*-*

with

option add *font -*-courier-bold-r-*-*-18-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Restart the HYSPLIT graphical user interface and see if the font size is proper. You can try a different number if 18 is not suitable.
jcolvin

Post by jcolvin »

I am having the same issue here... HYSPLIT runs fine, but the windows and text are so small that they are almost unreadable. I have a high dpi display, and have had a similar issue with a few other programs.

With these, I could right click on the executable and select properties and then the compatibility tab. From here I would select 'Change high DPI settings' and then select the boxes for 'Use this setting to fix scaling problems...' and 'Override high DPI scaling behavior...', then select scaling by Application under the drop down.

I tried this on the wish86t.exe file (with default installation, it is located in C:\ActiveTcl\bin). However this did not solve the problem for HYSPLIT. Is there another executable that needs to have the DPI scaling adjusted? Or has anyone found a fix for this? I tried the font change mentioned above, but this didn't help... made the font larger, which made it a little easier to read, but everything is still extremely small and the scaling is off with window sizes, etc.
sonny.zinn

Post by sonny.zinn »

We prepared a workaround for this issue. Please download hymenu.tcl and hysplit.tcl from https://www.ready.noaa.gov/register/HYS ... agenda.php and copy them to your C:\hysplit\guicode directory. This assumes HYSPLIT is installed to C:\hysplit. If HYSPLIT is installed elsewhere, replace the files in the guicode directory with the downloaded files.

Return to “HYSPLIT for PCs”