Cluster analysis PC/Python

Post any questions or comments regarding the Desktop PC version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to include the operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
Cecio10
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Cluster analysis PC/Python

Post by Cecio10 »

I generated some trajectories with python (pysplit package) and know I would like to run a cluster analysis. when I run the Trajectory Cluster analysis selecting my trajectory in the archive folder, I run cluster analysis and I get the following message:

Model started ... it is slower at the beginning
Started Cluster (Version: April 2015)
Every trajectory will be used
Number of trajectories in INFILE: 0
ERROR skipped all trajectories; none to cluster; try skip (>=1) smaller than
When I browse my trajectory file there is no trajectories in there. Is it because the PC version of the model does not recognize the trajectory generated with python? sounds strange as with the plotting python script I managed to plot them so I am sure they exist.
Thanks in advance
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: Cluster analysis PC/Python

Post by barbara.stunder »

If you used the hysplit program 'trajplot' to plot your python trajectories, the cluster program will work.

The cluster file INFILE is a listing of all the trajectory endpoints filenames. It is in your working directory (generally c:\hysplit4\cluster\working or c:\hysplit4\working). If there is nothing in the file, it wasn't created properly.

Through Step 2 of the cluster GUI window, make sure you click on "Make INFILE", then in File Explorer, open INFILE with Notepad to see if it is correct.

It is assumed you have run the Trajectory / Special Runs/ Clustering / Example to go through the mechanics of how to run the cluster analysis.

For more information, see sections 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 of the tutorial at https://www.ready.noaa.gov/HYSPLIT_Tutorials.php
Cecio10
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

Post by Cecio10 »

Dear Barbara, thank you very much for your answers, I have looked at the tutorials and everything seemed to work fine until I get this:

ERROR file in INFILE does not exist; remove from INFILE
complete name -
C:/Users/User/Desktop/year4/thesisgit/hysplit/trajectories/clippedtraj/londonja
n
filename used -
(spaces not permitted in filename)

Now, there are no spaces in the filename of the infile, so I am a bit puzzled, is there any way to fix this?
Thanks in advance
barbara.stunder
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Post by barbara.stunder »

This file exists and is the endpoints file?

C:/Users/User/Desktop/year4/thesisgithysplit/trajectories/clippedtraj/londonjan

If so, do a quick test and remove this line from INFILE, as the message states, and try it again.

Return to “HYSPLIT for PCs”