executing HYSPLIT parallel

Post any questions or comments regarding the Desktop PC version of HYSPLIT. This includes the model execution, GUIs, results, or graphics. Be sure to include the operating system you are using (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.
ppandaa33
Registered HYSPLIT User: No

executing HYSPLIT parallel

Post by ppandaa33 »

Hello, I'm using HYSPLIT to track hourly back trajectories and mainly using MATLAB for this process. I've encountered several issues while trying to execute HYSPLIT in parallel. Initially, I was using the hyts_std executable, but when I tried to run it in parallel for multiple control files, it often failed. Specifically, when one control file was being processed, attempts to process other control files would fail. To mitigate this, I tried renaming and copying the hyts_std executable to execute it from different paths, which somewhat improved the situation. Each renamed version of hyts_std was placed in its own directory, allowing for simultaneous execution without direct conflict. However, despite these changes, the process still frequently encounters failures. Is there any other way I can do this to improve the reliability and efficiency of parallel executions?
alicec
Registered HYSPLIT User: Yes

Re: executing HYSPLIT parallel

Post by alicec »

There are a few things that can help with executing multiple hysplit runs at the same time.

1. you can name your CONTROL and SETUP.CFG files with a suffix - CONTROL.suffix1 SETUP.suffix1, CONTROL.suffix2 SETUP.suffix2.
Then you call the hysplit executable with (example shell scrip)

Code: Select all

/hysplit/exec/hyts_std suffix1 &
     /hysplit/exec/hyts_std suffix2 &
Then you execute all of your runs in the same directory. However, occasionally this will fail because both runs are trying to access the ASCDATA.CFG file at the same time. It helps to stagger the start time of each run to avoid this problem.

2. You can execute each of your runs in its own directory. In this case you would have a directory structure such as run1/ run2/ run3/ and each directory would have CONTROL, SETUP.CFG, ASCDATA.CFG files for the run. For this configuration your script has to execute a directory change for each call to hyts_std. For instance in a shell script:

Code: Select all

cd ./run1
/hysplit/exec/hyts_std &
cd ../run2
/hysplit/exec/hyts_std &
cd ../run3
/hysplit/exec/hyts_std &
Note - there should not be any reason that you need multiple hyts_std executables.

Return to “HYSPLIT for PCs”